Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Does anyone still have interest in traditional film photos?

Does anyone still have interest in traditional film photos?
It's been a hobby of mine for a while now to shoot black-and-white 35mm on a totally old-school Canon AE-1 SLR camera. I really enjoy the sort of manual feel to everything and it makes me feel like I have more control over what I'm shooting and how I want it to look. I know that digital cameras already have controllable variables like f-stops and shutter speeds and such, but I just like working with manual cameras. Recently I bumped into a few critics at my university who asked to see some of my prints and seemed to really like them. So my question is, do people still care about black-and-white shots? And if they do, is there a way for me to make a little money on the side by doing what I love? How?
Cameras - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Actually in the art field there are very few digital prints that draw much interest. All the prints you see hanging in galleries are photographic prints and all have been processed archivally and are mounted following archival methodology. There should be an annual judged art show open to the teaching staff, staff and students. That is one way to get some recognition and have the opportunity to sell your work
2 :
Absolutely! Film still rules. Some photo galleries still show black-and-white print collections. If a print is well done, people will pay for it, no matter if it was digital or "silver." Just think of the work of Mary Ellen Mark, Ansel Adams, Weston and so many others who have done their best work (or all their work) in black and white. I take some digital shots but I still take more (and better) shots with my film camera. Since I have been shooting for a long time, I have a number of very good lenses and camera bodies. To replace what I have with digital will cost a small fortune. So keep working on your portfolio and your printing skills. Obviously you are on the right track. What matters is the result, not the technology.